Monday, April 14, 2014

How to Become an Effective Encourager within the Body of Christ 
                     
1) Be Willing to Receive Encouragement.
Sometimes pride can get in the way of receiving encouragement. It can even keep us from asking for encouragement from others when we are hurting. I find it interesting that when I hit my thumb with a hammer or get a paper cut, how my other hand quickly rushes to hold the other hand.  I don’t even have to think about it. It automatically rushes to the aid of the hurting member. My hurting hand just accepts the aid of the other hand. Just as our human body reacts naturally to hurt and pain; we as the body of Christ need to acknowledge our weaknesses and come forward for help. Some of us try to tough it out and have a stiff upper lip when we could more quickly be restored by receiving some encouragement. 
On the other hand…we need to be careful that we don’t take advantage of others and demand that they make us feel secure, loved, and appreciated. Are you thankful to God when He graciously sends someone to encourage you, or are you angry at people who fail to make you feel better? Graciously receiving grace and care is better than demanding things from God and others.
2) Take the Lead Creatively
(Heb. 10:24, 25) “And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds,  not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.”
Those who are effective in encouragement spend time prayerfully reflecting on this issue when they are not with the person. 
I've noticed that when I come to meetings prepared with my thoughts and ideas ahead of time; the meeting seems to me to go better and smoother and it’s more enjoyable because I’m not depending on the teacher, leader to do all the labor (trying to pull ideas out of folks). I find that the meeting went so much better for the leader and everyone else when I’m prepared to serve and come along side.
The same thing is true when it comes to attendance at church or ABF. When we plan to be there consistently, and be supportive and responsive it encourages the Pastor, Teacher, Praise Team and others when they see that those attending are supportive and involved. Prepare yourself before you arrive. Ask God to use you and work through you to be an encouragement to others. That way, you will be useful in God’s hands to build up the body of Christ.
When it comes to our spouse and close friends we sometimes drop the ball when it comes to encouraging them because we are comfortable with them and think that somehow they “already know these things.”
Become a Good Listener.
James 1:19 “This you know, my beloved brethren. But let everyone be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger;”
God has been showing me lately how selfish and self-centered I am.  When I'm in a conversation with someone, I’m always thinking about what I’m going to say before they have even stopped sharing. I want to add my “two cents” in before I've actually heard what the other person has communicated.  A good listener is selfless; he is receptive to what the other person has to say because he shows him concern and respect by listening. 
I’m really trying harder to focus on getting to know the other person and listen to their heart. I know that when I sense this from others I always feel encouraged because someone actually heard what I was feeling.
Use God's Word
Romans 15:4 For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.
God's Word is the primary means of encouragement for Christians.  If you want to be an effective encourager, you must know the Word! That doesn’t mean just quoting the Bible…it's helping people see and discover God’s truth for themselves.
Practice, practice, practice!!!
As in sports, music or anything that we want to be well versed in, develop, or enhance - we have to practice if we want to improve. When the Lord speaks to you about going over to a neighbor to encourage them...do it, don’t wait! When the Lord brings to mind someone who is hurting or sick...don’t procrastinate; move immediately! Send a card, make the call, go and visit. We will hear voices in our head that will come up with all kinds of excuses; ignore them and move ahead. There have been times when I have ignored those urgings from God's Spirit and have regretted not acting. You and I will find blessing and joy in those moments that God wants us to enjoy because we responded to His prompting to encourage someone.
Just a thought…not a sermon!
Blessings for today,
Dave Knight

No comments:

Post a Comment